Sunday, March 4, 2012

Friend Gift (Day76)

If you've decided to go vegan, you are undoubtedly going to end up in this place at some point.
For me right now, I'm going through a rough time.  Without going into detail, I will say I'm near broke and the people around me know this.

So I have a coworker that I love and is very good to me.  He's brought me some Thai curry that is "supposedly" vegan.  As much as I love and respect this guy, I recall reading a story online where a friend made them a "Vegan" burger.  Excited with the idea, they bit down and began devouring what they thought was a meatless burger.  They came to find very soon after that it was a turkey burger and they were upset and felt bad about having eaten such food.

As I've said in the past, I'm not one to deny the taste of a good steak.  A steak is one of the most delicious things I've eaten in my life.  But based on my decision to be vegan, I simply choose not to eat meat anymore - as well as all other products that are derived from animals.



If you look up the basic ingredients for Thai curry, you will undoubtedly find that most of them include some sort of fish product.  Ok, so I have a decision to make.  Do I eat all of this curry that a good friend is offering in a time when I need help?  It sits in my refrigerator without him speculating whether I will consume it or not.  I think my decision has already been made based merely on the fact that he was doing something nice for me in a time of need.  And I don't want to drill him about what the paste has in it.

We will deal with this problem for the rest of our lives.  We won't die if we eat it.  But some animal along the way has.  As I read in another long and descriptive report about someone becoming vegan, he mentioned the fact that his belt was made of leather.  "The animal already gave it's life," he said.  And I agree.  If it's been done, it's done.  Give respect to that animal by continuing the belt's use.

I will eat this thai curry he has offered and I hope to enjoy it.
I never said he was a good cook.  That remains to be seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment