Saturday, May 30, 2015

Beat Box: This ain't yo Fat Boys

I come from the Breakdance Era.  That's right - the STREETS.  Not really, but I was dancing on the streets.  Things were different in 1984.  Breakin', Breakin' 2 - Electric Boogaloo and linoleum mats on my driveway....


Back in the day, I wanted to windmill into your heart and then totally beat your ass with a tight Top-Rock while I was only in 3rd grade.   More than that, I wanted to beat box like a champ.  I still do this while at home, at work, for my son... I never stop.  Like Turbo, I just won't quit.  

I've been hovering the proverbial Breakin' broom over my household in an effort to continue the passion sound that is the Ozone of subculture. Even Shooter McGavin gets it.  Bobby McFerrin has nothing on this.

My favorite battle is Skiller vs. Alem in the Beatbox Championship of 2012.  See it here and realize that you really need a good sound system to hear the spectrum of sound frequency:


Skiller has a record deal, believe it or not.  I consider both to be massively talented.  Here is Alem doing some work at home with a metronome.  Incredible:


But then... They get together again!


One of my other favorites is Reeps One:

I cook, yes.  But I also clean it up with some fresh beats in my kitchen while I do so.  Curries go well with a fresh beat.  To top it off, here is a nice combo from several beat boxers at the last championship.  The All Stars Jam:



No comments:

Post a Comment