Monday, February 20, 2012

Curried Yellow Split Peas (Day63)

I'm giving up on the green peas that I spoke about in my last post.  They simply take too long to cook even if I soak them for 48 hours.  My best guess based on reading is that they are very old and too dried out.  Let's move on to a staple that I've grown to love: The Yellow Split Pea.

First, they are already split, unlike the green peas I bought. Thus, they only require 45 minutes to cook fully.  The peas will break down quite easily and if cooked beyond 45 minutes will be a mush, but I love it.  With ample spices and some vegetables, it's an enjoyable meal, and at only $1.66 per bag, a steal.

When it comes to the spices, I like to buy the bulk bags that are available at our local natural foods store.  I imagine most of these type stores will carry bulk and there are a couple of advantages.  One, there are organic options and they come in large quantities with prices ranging from $1.50 to $4.00.  Buying a bottle/sm jar of 1/4 of that amount in organic form is usually priced anywhere from $3 to $8 depending on the brand.  Way too high!
I also would like to mention a new-found ingredient that I've grown to love.  I like to make creamy dishes, but when going vegan, you need vegan options.  Normally using Coconut milk for something like this, I was hunting for something in the store with more concentration.  I found Creamed Coconut.
This is not coconut cream, a more dense version of coconut milk, squeezed from the plant's meat.  This is actually the creamed version of the meat itself.  It's thick and hard as a brick at cool temperatures.  For use, soften the bag in a bowl of warm water and squeeze out a TBlsp or more into your dish. It gives it a rich and delicious flavor.  I'm not a fan of coconut itself, but this stuff has opened up a new world of flavor.  This is the product I found and it was inexpensive:
ORGANIC CREAMED COCONUT

It's recommended that one remove the matter that is residual from the collection process(Much like you see on a label of dried beans).  But I've never worried about the extra matter and normally throw whatever is in the bag directly into the pot and get started.


Again, I rarely measure exact quantities when I make a batch of curry or other homemade recipes, so make adjustments as desired.  I'll give my best guess, but who doesn't like a ton of curry?  The recipe will make about 3-4 servings and the cost is super low.

Ingredients:

1-2 cups of Yellow Split Peas
3 cups of Water (add more as needed- and you will likely need to)
1 Tblsp Curry
1 tsp ground Coriander
2 tsp Garlic powder
1 Tblsp Creamed coconut
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
optional: (any vegetable would do, right?)
Chopped onion
Minced garlic clove
Small broccoli florets

Directions:
Boil for 40 minutes or more.  Be sure to check often that you're not running out of water and that the peas aren't sticking to the pot.  It can also froth up and spill over if over-heated.  This is just a recommendation, but I normally add my spices and optional vegetables about 75% through the process.  You can boil longer if needed, taste as you go and so on.  It's hard to mess up this dish, and as I'm cooking it right now(live pictures indeed), I'm getting excited.  When it's achieved the consistency you prefer, remove from heat and serve - or contain it and enjoy it later.  This tastes soooooo good.


Please comment if you try this insanely easy recipe.  I'd like to hear what you think.



No comments:

Post a Comment