Saturday, February 25, 2012

Refried Black Beans (Day68)

Ok, so they're not fried.  But they are beans.  And I intend to devour them with some tortilla chips.
Tortilla chips are vegan most of the time, though they might not be all that healthy in massive amounts.  But if you're at a social function and they have food out, the tortilla chips are likely vegan.  Google for items that meet vegan standards as I couldn't find a simple list.
You can find this on Wiki:

Tostitos Wiki

"Some Frito-Lay brand seasoned products, including some flavors of Tostitos, contain pork enzymes in addition to herbs, cheese and other seasonings. Frito-Lay's web site[1] states that they use enzymes from pigs (porcine enzymes) in some of their seasoned snack products to develop 'unique flavors'. The presence of pig-derived ingredients makes them unsuitable for VegetariansVegans, as well as non-kosher (forbidden for observant Jews to eat), and haraam (forbidden for Muslims to eat)."


As far as I know, Tostitos regular white corn chips are vegan.  If someone has more info on that let me know.


I grabbed a large can of pre-cooked Black beans this evening and boiled the hell out of them.
didn't have a potato masher because I'm dead broke and trying to rebuild (more on that later - maybe).  But I added some water, oil and salt and went to work with a fork after boiling for about an hour and here is what we got:


I never claimed to be a class-act photographer, so you get what you get from my iPhone.  Like I said, I'm broke.  Better pictures when I have a better camera.(better recipes too!)


I'm getting after this with some Mission tortilla chips.  It tastes great with almost nothing in it -except, oh...the massive amounts of protein and fiber that we all need.

No comments:

Post a Comment