Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Peas.......PLEASE(Day57)

Lesson learned.  Have I mentioned the name "Clumsy Vegan?"

I often buy yellow split peas because they are so very cheap, easy to cook/season, and they have a lot of protein and fiber(among other positives).  So I thought I would grab a huge bag of the raw, dried green peas and add it to the cooking menu.  Little did I know that the dried green pea needs to soak overnight.

I cooked a pot of indian for 6 hours straight trying to get these guys tender!  Granted, the outcome was amazing, but I used a lot of gas just to get things done.  I don't like that at all.

In addition, I came home tonight to find that my electricity was turned off!  Thank god for the iPhone.  Unfortunately, there was some sort of problem with my email and I was supposed to initiate the start of my service through various online means. I didn't get that email.  All the while, the vegetables and other goods in the fridge are potentially going bad.  I got it figured out and I'm boiling some peas now.

But guess what.....  I soaked this second batch of peas, just as suggested.  They've been soaking for 2 days.
And after boiling for 3 hours, they are still not breaking like the yellow split pea.

Don't forget that.  The dried green pea is a tough pea.  Most of us just want to cook it up and eat it, like a can of black beans - especially when we're doing it meal by meal.  I look forward to how great these peas are going to be.  But the time and energy put into these little thangs has been more than I anticipated.
     A little bit of curry powder, Garlic powder, Ground Coriander, and a drop of oil and salt.
     I'll let you know how it turns out.
     More boiling ahead...

Valentine's Day





:(

No comments:

Post a Comment