Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Overall Health: Initial Screening

Today I went to a free health screening offered by my employer.  I was very interested to find out what my numbers are.  I've not had a complete screening in the past, though I have had one cholesterol level check about 8 years ago. The results:  "Normal."

That doesn't really tell me much.  In fact, I was a bit upset that I didn't get the numbers after waiting two weeks for the results.  I suppose I could have asked for the paperwork, but what does it matter now?  I took this opportunity to get a few numbers so that I could compare sometime in the future.

So this is Day 127 since becoming Vegan.  I lost about 10-15 pounds in the first couple of months, but the weight loss tapered as I began working out.  Let's take a look at my numbers for today:

Body
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 167 pounds
Waist (at navel): 34.5"
Body Mass Index: 23  (Normal is 18.5 - 24.9)

Those numbers look good.  And to add to that, I am in the 25 percentile for my height and age.

Blood
Blood Pressure: 142/80
Total Cholesterol: 156
HDL Cholesterol: 54
Glucose: 86

The Blood pressure is a bit high(Healthy is 120/80 and under). 142 for the Systolic number is straight up High Blood pressure STAGE 1.  I have suffered, and sometimes still suffer from anxiety, but it is near gone.  I will have to chalk these high numbers up to a stressful life change in the last few months and the fact that I practically ran to the appointment.  I had my numbers checked at my doctor about 6 months ago and they were at normal range.  And if you read my last post, you know that I've eliminated the addition of Salt to my meals.  Something is amiss here.  I plan to by my own blood pressure monitor and keep track at home.

Total Cholesterol is in a VERY good range, though I would like it to be lower.  Unfortunately, with a simple, free screening such as this one, acquiring my LDL cholesterol was not possible.  The HDL level at 54 is very good though if I ate more fruits and vegetables rather than beans and wheat pasta, it would likely be much higher. More importantly, though, is the Total to HDL cholesterol ratio - Which is a fantastic 2.9!!!  This means that the likelihood of developing atherosclerosis is very low and it points to a very low probability of a heart attack.  Good range is considered around 3-4.  Glucose appears normal.

However, the more research you do on Veganism and overall health based on studies throughout the globe, the more you will find that the upper 100's range considered normal for total Cholesterol in America is a truth believed only by some.  As I've learned, getting the overall Cholesterol lower than 120 and the HDL above 60 is IDEAL and damn near makes a heart attack and heart disease not only impossible - but levels like that can actually REVERSE heart disease.

I'll say again, watch Forks Over Knives to get you started down the right path.  It took me many years to get here, but that documentary put the fork in eating animals for me.  Everything changed after that.  In fact, I have a couple of coworkers following suit(and even teaching me things).

In my next post I will reveal 2 simple things that one can do to drastically reduce cholesterol levels and blood pressure in just 2 months.  It's not a huge secret, but these 2 things are easy to use and they WILL WORK.
Here's to the Heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment