Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Brown Rice/White rice (Day36)

I'm not a huge fan of brown rice, I'll admit.  But I was under the impression that it was much healthier than white rice.  To find out for sure, I hit up google.  I've been doing research on a lot of individual vegetables and other foods lately to find out which of them would provide me with the proper nutrients I need (Esp. protein) since going Vegan.  The site I have found most valuable is http://nutritiondata.self.com/

The site has a comprehensive review of each food item and what it provides your diet.  It even covers the food's potential for losing or gaining weight.  If I recall correctly, it even has fast food items.
Most importantly, though, it's been a great learning tool.  While reading about brown and white rice, I learned that white rice is actually quite good for you - the main difference being the amount of Fiber. 

Even more interesting, in the same article, was the nutrient content found in a medium baked potato with the skin.  Wow!  A baked potato is really good for you if you eat the skin - and I have no problem with that.  I was just making fun of an Idaho potatoes commercial the other day.  I still have a lot to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment