Thursday, January 26, 2012

Steak and Breast Milk (Day38)

I never claimed that I didn't like the taste of a juicy steak.  In fact, years ago, it was a weekly meal for me. I looked forward to it.  But after learning about the beef industry, I decided I needed to stop eating beef all together.  That was 2002.  I still say, to this day, that if I were to eat beef right now, I would head down to Sonic and grab myself a SuperSonic Cheeseburger and go to town.  


But that's not gonna happen.  I've made my decision and I'm going to stick with it.  Eliminating beef was the beginning.  Dairy was one of the last items I removed from the grocery list when going Vegan.  Goodbye Cheese.  Here is the conversation I often have with people when they ask me about deciding to go Vegan:


"If your wife was nursing a child, would you consume her breast milk?"  
100% of the time, there answer is "No."  So I ask them, "Well, how about your neighbor's breast milk?"  Obviously, "No."  Just the thought of it disgusts most people.  It's not just an odd idea.  Most people find it repulsive.  So then why on earth would you drink a Cow's Milk?  There is no logic behind this.  But the dairy industry has been telling us for years: "Milk, It does a body good."  Does it?  Does it really?


Cows don't even drink cow's milk beyond the first few months of life.  So why would a human?  The claim that Dairy is the source of calcium that we need is just preposterous.  In fact, Soy milk has as much calcium, if not more, than cow's milk (Probably supplemented).  I never said I didn't like the taste of Cow's milk.  But I wonder what else I could be eating right now if I ate only the foods that corporate industry claimed were healthy.

2 comments:

  1. Dairy was the first item I eliminated even before going vegan (too much mucus -- yuck!), but yeah, drinking cow's milk strikes me as really odd now. But that just shows you how much we've been brainwashed when we think drinking milk after we've been weaned and drinking the milk from another species is normal. Clearly, other animals know better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Precisely. If one places any value in the natural order of things, then when a cow discontinues weening, people must see the evidence that the calf no longer requires milk.

      Delete